Thursday, July 30, 2009

Just in Time for Weekend Entertaining!

Heather has finally had some time to share a couple of quick appetizer recipe's with us, and while she was able to squeeze in a few minutes to jot them down, she has been so busy showing houses that she hasn't had time to make these scrumptious creations for me. With that being said, I decided to give them a try and see if I could live up to her reputation and deliver some yummy-tasting treats as well as grab some pictures to share. So, I gathered all the ingredients and ran to the kitchen to get started.





Caprese on a Stick: Mini mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes (cherry tomatoes are fine too) fresh basil. Get a wooden skewer, put a mozzarella ball on, then a tomato, then a small piece of basil followed by another mozzarella ball, another tomato, another basil, etc.... Enjoy!

I LOVE tomatoes, so I used both grape tomatoes and sundried tomatoes. The sundried tomatoes provided a lot more flavor than the grape tomatoes, so I’ll skip the grape ones next time. There were no mini mozzarella balls to be found, so I used the medium sized ones, sliced into about ¼ inch and then cut in half. Some fresh basil and skewers, and viola, “CAPRESE ON A STICK” a'la Heather! Oh yeah, I lightly brushed the skewers with a little basil vinaigrette dressing for a bit of added zip.






Prosciutto & Melon: Prosciutto slices (Italian ham, more fatty and less salty than American ham, but this works with thinly sliced “traditional” ham as well)
Diced or balled melon – i.e.” cantaloupe or honeydew. Get a wooden skewer, start to “thread” the prosciutto on the stick, then a piece of fruit overlay the prosciutto, another piece of fruit, and finish with the prosciutto…Enjoy!

On to the Prosciutto and Melon skewers. I used sliced prosciutto (very thin) and diced cantaloupe and honeydew (for variety). The slices weren’t really long enough to “thread” as Heather had indicated in the recipe, so I took small slices and wrapped them around each diced piece of melon and put them on the skewer, alternating the cantaloupe and honeydew.






Hope you enjoy these recipes from Heather, and I hope I’ve done her justice. Thanks for sharing, Heather, and we're looking forward to more of your yummy recipes!


TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful presentation!! If you love tomatoes, I have a recipe you will love...stuffed cherry tomatoes!!

    ReplyDelete